Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Last night

So I'm starting to think I'm so far behind on this thing that I might as well just fast forward to the present and fill the last month in as I go. Hope that works, because I want to talk about what happened last night.

At the stroke of midnight - or 00:00 on my clock for Euro time - I wake up to the sound of this pop pop popping noise outside of my window (I guess I shouldn't really call it a window b/c they're two glass doors that I can open with a little porch on the outside). I'm still half asleep, but I walk over to the doors and look outside and there's a full fireworks show going on just over the mountains near our house.

This wasn't a small neighborhood show, either. Full blown fireworks, like the 4th in Chicago. I had to pinch myself for a second to make sure I wasn't dreaming, but then I just stood there and watched them go off from my balcony. It was so surreal, I felt like I was having my own private show. Everyone else was dead asleep and the wind was still, which made it extremely quiet in the fields and up into the hills a few miles off - except for the fireworks. Every time one would go off the entire landscape would light up and you could see the red roofs and rolling hills for miles and miles. So beautiful.

I told Sarah about it today and she said she thought there might be a festa that just ended a few towns over. Apparently their big bang of an ending usually happens on Monday nights. Weird, right? I'm not sure what kids were still up at midnight, but this is Italy. The rules are totally different here! It was definitely a night I won't ever forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment